Priory Bridge

Bridge1 Bridge2 Bridge3 Bridge3 Bridge4

Priory Bridge, leading from the Priory to Poplands and Paradise Court, a cast iron footbridge of 1844; it replaced a two span wood and stone bridge. The new bridge was produced by the Worcester Foundry at a cost of £60.

Before the fine cast iron bridge was built, the footbridge over the fast-flowing Kenwater consisted of stone abutments and a stone pier in midstream, with a timber bridge spanning across. Wooden steps led up to it, and revolving turnstile doors prevented grazing animals from crossing into the Priory area. In 1635 the steps were mended and ‘considerable repairs’ were carried out in 1652 costing £9 11s 5d. + 2s for labour.